Thursday, April 10, 2008

At last but not least!

Today was the last intensive session, it was a sum up of everything we have seen during the week but I still learnt something!

We started by focusing on the different step of the implementation on an ERP like SAP. I retained five major steps. Those steps have not the obligation to be finished to start another one.
So, the first step consists of the Project Preparation: teams are created to implement together SAP, before they will be trained. In this step, you decide which system you'll implement, what are the key objectives? What are your resources?

The second step is the Business Blueprint: you work on matching SAP with processes. Teams have to know exactly how the system works. In this step, you try to map processes.

The third step is the Realization of the implementation: you make it real! This is a huge part in the implementation. You need to test transactions, to correct possible errors (doubles), to clean the old database, and ti train the trainer (who are actually employees using SAP).

The fourth step is the Final Preparation: just before the Go Live, you do the last tests and last changes.

Last, the Go Live & Support, you can use SAP, it might fit exactly your organisation and its needs. But you should check every month if the software is working well or not (avoid errors).

This week I discover Information System which I knew very few....I said the first day that I wasn't an expert in IT, I still mean it! However, I learnt a lot on ERP. This system can't work without the help of "human". It has the advantage of improving the efficiency of the company when it is implemented correctly but I was astonished on the 70% of failure due to reluctance to change, to high cost or to a problem of resources. You never implement an ERP system to save money! It has to be implemented for strategic reasons (goal of growth, possible return on investment). The project will be a success if needs are turned to met objectives, if time is respected, if cost and resources are not overspent.

As a student in master degree, I'll be able to analyse the business of an organisation, its strategy and the situation. In a company, I'll have to ask questions, to understand key needs. I shouldn't be reluctant to being involved in implementation of an ERP because I know that I could bring my skills and knowledge to the organisation. As future manager, we have to step up and be volunteer to take tasks, to help. Now, I have basic ideas about the modules, I'll be able to give my opinion but I should be open to training.....we always have to learn! This would be my conclusion.

I really enjoy this dynamic class, made by great exchange moments! THANKS

No comments: